Sunday, February 16, 2014

Is it Sociological?

I have 15 minutes to write a post before church this morning. I have neglected writing in general and this blog. But after having attended a roundtable at a feminist sociological meeting a few weeks ago about blogging, there is no motivation. Yet, I question, per a discussion on our collective idea of a sociology blog spot, if my blog is "sociological."  And during a time of transition, a time of creeping anxiety, and still in that first year of the tenure track job, I question a lot about myself lately. So, alas I write.

Is this blog sociological? I don't write like other bloggers, connecting and linking to stories on the web or citing evidence from published research. I enjoy those blogs, but that was not my intent. Maybe I could do this to move forward in  my own research agenda. But should it be on this blog or a new one devoted just to that agenda?

Yet, I am a sociologist and I think like a sociologist, even when I have on my social worker practice hat on. I see my life through a sociological lens. As a feminist sociologist, I have pushed my students to see their own experiences and life as meaningful and things that matter. Feminists have pushed us to accept personal narratives. No, I'm trying to make grand generalizations in this blog, nor do I point out my analytical frameworks. Yet again, as a sociologist trained to be analytical, it seems to be this way in a different way.

And my life right now is ripe with sociological relevant topics. A move from a metro area in the North to life in a small town in the Deep South. A new tenure track job after years of working as an adjunct, applied work, a PhD, and MSW. A parent. A co-parent. A spouse. A working parent. A gendered parent. Learning to be an activist where I am an outsider. A pro-choice liberal in the Deep South. Transitions. Culture. Guilt. Emotions. Emotional labor. Children learning Southern dialect. A co-leader for a troop in a Girls' organizaton.

This is all sociological. And to me it's feminist. It's also healing. It's communication and expression of what I cannot say. It's the uncovering of "hidden" disabilities. It's a take on sociology sometimes for not paying attention to some issues or ignoring experience to debate etiology.

Is this is interesting? I don't know. That's for a reader to decide.  For now this is my post this morning in mid-February. 

No comments:

Post a Comment