Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chances to Write and Speak

I have two thoughts on my mind this morning about writing and speaking. I had volunteered if needed and thus was asked to speak at my church, a UU one, in March.  Members and outside folks often speak during services. But what am I going to talk about? I can talk about anything.  Thoughts on topics include:
a) Do I take the risk and talk about mental health and my story? The rationale is to remove stigma and barriers associated with mental health and be a role model for those who struggle silently. But, what are the possible consequences? How much do I want to expose? How will people see me?
b) Do I use this as a time to talk about my future research on mental health during pregnancy? I have not collected data yet, but have read enough and lived through the experience. Would the membership find it interesting to talk about the cultural mandates of motherhood? Can I tie this into being more loving and accepting of others and ourselves? Would this open up research opportunities and collaborations?
c) I have thought about talking about ally development, especially in a very accepting church, but one in which members may believe since they are UU folks, they are not racist, homophobic, etc... But as we know, microagressions occur daily and ally development is a process. If I go this route do I talk about theories on ally development? Bring in my work when I interned at a GLBTA office on a university campus, which was an eye opening experience of how little I knew about issues that folks who identify as trans experience?

I am exited about this opportunity and need to make a decision soon.

My second thought is that a call went out for a sociology journal that is doing something different in seeming to promote public sociology or a different type of sociology than traditionally published in journals. I asked two local groups of people if they were interested in writing.
I asked a group of students who have spoken of their lives. Many of them are African American women who live in the Deep South and experience racism and the intersection of gender and race in their daily lives. Would they want to talk about their stories? How can I contribute to this piece?
I also asked my Reverend, who has lived here all her life, and another student who was just ordained as a minister in a more conservative church, but has done so much work with immigration reform here.
But the idea of working with students, collaborating on writing a piece excites me! It may not get published, but it's a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment