Tuesday, May 10, 2011

More on being a teacher at a CC

It's the end of the semester and yes, I'm beginning to feel bitchy. Papers to grade. Papers not submitted in their correct place. Students with crisis. My phone ringing off the hook.

But what do you do? Some people say don't babysit the students. Yet, I know one student is so depressed about news she received. She was crying when I called her. Another in the ER. But many of these students are single parents, working full time, and going back to school. The system has screwed them and their tuition at a CC is puts them in financial despair, but they need the degree to go on.

So, some people would say too bad, but yes, the helping instinct in me says, no. They have to pass the class. Not the ones who never do anything, but the ones who have worked their tails off. Yes, all professors and instructors face similar challenges at the end of the semester, but my students do care about their course work very much. They are not doing this on purpose, but because they live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment