Saturday, April 23, 2011

Thiking Indepdently

I have not written about my old job because it is still painful. I feel that I lost six months of my life and I am angry. In thinking about this, I attended the Planned Parenthood solidarity event yesterday to counter the pro-life protesters annual Good Friday event. I was hoping that my picture would make it somewhere that my old boss and co-workers would see. Yes, this is me. I am a feminist. I am pro-choice.

Beyond the nightmares I still have about my old boss in which I dream he still tries to contact me and convert me to his religion, I had an odd incident this week. Another adjunct faculty at my current work used to be an adjunct at the institution I worked an applied job at. We know one of the same people who gave both of us similar advice. Her story is a bit different than mine and is tied more into the structure a certain school within the institution, but again, it reminds me of why I am glad I left. For an institution that claims to be for social justice, there are many things that don't add up in terms of how employees are treated.

So, this leads me either to talk about my horrid work experience or my opinions on private religious schools. I hope my kids do not choose to go to a private college affiliated with a religion. Having worked in a few and a proponent of public education, the idea makes me cringe. Okay, I'm sure some are fine and having had some experience with friends and the such so I know a few Jesuit schools seem to be more open. However, back to the point of most private religious affiliated schools. Maybe I'm opinionated and using selective information, but I want my children's education to be broad. I want them to learn critical thinking skills. If they happen to be LGBT, I want them to feel that they can be open with their identity. I want them to be able to pick from a variety of classes. I want them to learn to be independent, both as thinkers and as they transition into adulthood. And importantly, I want them to learn from the diverse experiences of others. Maybe I am a bit biased. And I know not every school of this type will fall into this. BUT, I don't want religious doctrine to affect WHAT and HOW they learn nor for them to have to hide their identity and who they are .

I'm not anti-religious. My kids have been baptized into the Congregational church (UCC... United Church of Christ), which besides Unitarian is the only organized religion I believe in. But I am for religion that is open, tolerable of diversity, and really for social justice. Hence, social justice without morality clauses attached.

Yes, it's good to see that people believe strongly about things. Yet in walking to the event yesterday at Planned Parenthood and seeing all the families walking for the pro-choice side, a few things occurred to me. One, as I was walking alone and at the time did not have stickers on, I received some looks. I'm sure it was that they assumed because I was alone, I didn't have kids and that's why I am pro-choice. WRONG. Also, another friend, who is a mom, at the event told me about her neighbor's children telling her children that their parents believed in baby killing. On the one had, great your kids listen to you, but this seems to be like brainwashing your children. Yest, it's good to teach our kids values, but shouldn't we be teaching them how to be critical thinkers and to think independently. I disagree with some of the things my kids learn in daycare, but instead of saying, I'm right and they are wrong, I encourage them to think about all sides of the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment