Friday, April 15, 2011

Informal Congratulations

I love to hear when my friends win awards! I really do and am proud of them! Yet... there's that part of me that's not jealous, but sad because I haven't "won" an award since 2004 or so when I won a research grant from my department in graduate school. I got nominated one year for graduate instructor of the year, but nope, didn't get it. And after three years of rejection (i.e. that thing called the academic job market) you think I would be strong enough not to get tied up in the emotions of "what about me?". But, sometimes it's hard exactly because of the damn failure of the job market (no institution to tie myself to... but now, I working my a** at my community college, so maybe). Anyway, in talking to a certain person, we went through a list of ways I can congratulate myself. Half sarcastic, half real, here it goes.

1) I didn't tell my ex-boss I how really felt about him, his religion, and the way I was treated. Yes, when I left, I did with a degree of professionalism though I drank happily that afternoon!
2) My kids are healthy and from what I believe happy.
3) I made it back into graduate school (yes, I'm crazy, but going to follow my passion).
4) I found my voice again. I may be opinionated, but it's based on research, thought, and passion. AND I'm using that voice.
5) I didn't give up on "life" after three years of rejection. Yes, it hurts, but the great old adage, whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
6) I still have respect and interest for a field that I'm tangential too (in terms of post PhD with no TT job)
7) I learned to take care of myself and to give myself time to enjoy life. Yes, this is the upside of not having the publish or perish or teach and publish mantras ruling my life. I can read fiction. I can spend time with kids. Yes, there's work, but I can take time to enjoy life, drink a beer, make friends, and be an activist.
8) I will enjoy spending time with children this summer. The park. The pool. Go camping. Travel maybe a bit.
9) I've learned a hell of a lot being through a hostile work experience and interviewing for three years. One of them is that I am okay even if others don't treat me well or pick me.
10) So, maybe to sum here, I've learned there's the ideal vs the real. And I can accept that and I'm okay with that. In the words of a colleague, sometimes, "it just it."

No comments:

Post a Comment